Thursday, March 12, 2009

Omelet House (Las Vegas)

Omelet House was one of the first non-touristy restaurants that I patronized in Las Vegas. Over the many years that I’ve been going to Vegas, I'd always had breakfast in the hotels.

About 10 years ago, I decided to start eating where the locals eat – particularly when it came to breakfast, which as you all know, is my favorite meal of the day. So I googled “favorite breakfast Las Vegas” and one of the top recommendations was the Omelet House.

My first excursion there was hilarious. Driving west on Charleston (a main drag), I saw the sign immediately, soon after passing University Medical Center on the right. Well, the location of the sign is a bit misleading as the restaurant is in the back of the building. I drove around that parking lot and thought well hell, they closed down. Thankfully I did find the place, there it was, right before my eyes and I was looking so hard I didn’t see it.

They also have restaurants in the UNLV area on Maryland Parkway, and in the southeast area on North Boulder.

The Omelet House is a warm place, not just temperature-wise, but heart-and-soul-wise as well. It’s just the way you’d want a family restaurant to be. Friendly, bustling, aromas all around you.

Wait until you see the breakfast menu. They have 38 numbered egg dishes that range from simple “eggs any style” to the “38 special for meat lovers.”

Personally, I like #16, the Bugsy Siegel Special (“An omelet you can’t refuse! Tender chunks of roast beef in an Italian red sauce, with sour cream and jack cheese”), or sometimes they have a special crab and artichoke omelet (it’s a little green, but you get over that with your first bite).

Try ordering the #33 Flatlanders Special, price $69, if you want a good laugh – raw liver, parsnips, peanut butter, organically grown black jelly beans, sautéed grunion lips (2), gardenia petals and topped with mint ice cream (subject to when grunion are running). It is, of course, a joke, so don’t get your hopes up too high.

Did I mention they have pancakes, waffles, French toast, scramblers, sides and Benedicts as well on their breakfast menu? One of these days, I’m going to try the Eggs Benedict Lobster.

For lunch, they offer burgers, sandwiches, salads, soups and chili.

Omelet House: 2160 W Charleston Blvd., #A (at Rancho). (702) 384-6868.

No comments: